Application Guidelines and Instructions
Please click here to download and read the guidelines for the 2018-2019 Japanese Studies Fellowship Program (U.S. applicant edition).
Basic Eligibility Requirements
• Applicants using this site must be American citizens, American citizens temporarily residing abroad, or permanent residents of the United States. Americans with permanent residency in other countries should submit their applications to the Japan Foundation’s office in the country where they reside or to the Japanese diplomatic mission of their resident country using a different form by December 1, 2017.
• Applicants residing in the United States who are neither U.S. citizens nor permanent residents should submit their applications to the Foundation’s Tokyo Headquarters using a different form by December 1, 2017.
Categories and Duration of Fellowship
The minimum and maximum durations for the Fellowship are indicated in parentheses. The duration of the Fellowship may be adjusted by the Foundation, and will be as stated in the grant letter*.
• Scholars and Researchers (Long-Term) (2-12 months): Scholars and researchers in the humanities or social sciences. Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience at the time of application.
• Scholars and Researchers (Short-Term) (21-59 days): Scholars and researchers in the humanities or social sciences who need to conduct intensive research in Japan. Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience at the time of application.
• Doctoral Candidates (4-12 months): Doctoral candidates in the humanities or social sciences. Applicants must have achieved ABD status by the time the Fellowship begins.
* Please note that for awardees in the Research (Long-Term) and Doctoral Fellowship categories, there is a possibility that the Fellowship duration may be adjusted to a whole-month unit.
Return to Japan Foundation, New York: Japanese Studies webpage